RP-SMA Cables & Adapters
RP SMA Cable Connectors Options
RP-SMA-female: Special versions for Intrusion Protection: Waterproofing / Weatherproofing
Data Alliance offers various RP-SMA-female connector options to enable weatherproofing, intrusion protection and waterproofing. Options for the female RP-SMA connector include:
- An elongated threaded section, to pass through thicker enclosure walls, a panel or casing.
- O-ring embedded in the bulkhead (also known as the flange). For this version, the bulkhead has a larger diameter of 11mm, versus 8mm for the more standard bulkhead diameter.
- The two options above can be combined on the same connector.
- Right-angled connectors: All of the above options can be provided as a right-angle RP-SMA connector.
RP-SMA-female Connector Bulkhead / Flange Diameter. The wider bulkhead diameter enables a more secure fit and sealing of the connector, in a port of a case or enclosure. The flange acts as the mounting surface that ensures proper alignment and attachment of the connector to the enclossure or casing. Naturally, the wider 11mm flange with an embedded o-ring enables the most secure protection against intrustion of dust, dirt, and water.
Enhanced Sealing with Embedded O-Rings and Loose O-Rings: As important as selecting the right connector for your project is ensuring the reliable connection and longevity of your equipment by protecting it against external factors such as water, dirt, and dust. One essential aspect of achieving this protection lies in the sealing of connectors.
Embedded O-Rings, also known as captive O-rings, are designed to fit precisely within the connector interface, providing a seamless and secure seal. These O-rings are integrated directly into the connector, eliminating the risk of misalignment or damage during installation. The snug fit ensures that the O-ring stays in place, preventing any gaps that could compromise the seal against moisture, dust, or other contaminants. With Embedded O-Rings, connectors achieve a higher level of protection and reliability, making them an excellent choice for demanding environments.
Loose (Donut Shape) O-Rings[Link]: On the other hand, Loose O-rings, or donut-shaped O-rings, are separate components that users manually place around the connector interface before coupling. They remain a cost-effective solution for applications where the sealing requirements are not as stringent.
Versions & Dimensions of RP-SMA connectors
RP-SMA Connector Characteristics and Details
- RP-SMA female and male diameter:
- RP-SMA female outside diameter is 5/16" (7.9375mm): Accommodates a hex nut (bulkhead nut) with 5/16" nominal outer diameter
- RP-SMA male inside diameter is 5/16" (7.9375mm) (the inside diameter where the threads are).
- RP-SMA Gender Determination: Key Points
- RP-SMA gender is counter-intuitive: Please observe picture & note it is correct.
- The gender is referring to the pins inside--not the threads. RP-SMA male has threads on inside.
- RP-SMA male has a socket inside rather than a pin, as you might expect, because the RP stands for "Reverse Polarity." The socket/pin configuration is female when it appears to be male, and vice versa.
- More details regarding RP-SMA gender determination.
- Other RP-SMA Characteristics and Key Points
- RP-SMA-male is also called "plug" and SMA female connector is also called "jack"
- We offer an RP-SMA wrench to assist in installing antennas, cables and adapters with RP-SMA or SMA connector(s).
- RP-SMA-male connector fits items that have an RP-SMA-female connector.
- RP-SMA is a round screw-type connector, with medium-sized, threaded coupling connectors that are rated for frequencies from the lowest (DC) up to 18GHz.
- RP-SMA connectors are not compatible with the common, commercially available Type F coaxial connector. Type F connectors look similar but are of slightly different size and will not pair with RP-SMA or SMA connectors without an adapter.
- We offer an RPSMA wrench to assist in installing antennas, cables and adapters with SMA or RP-SMA connector(s).
- RP SMA is also known as SMA RP, SMA-R, SMA-RP, SMA R