Antennas with MMCX or MCX connector
MCX and MMCX Connectors:
MMCX is a Small Version of MCX
The Micro Miniature Coaxial (MMCX) is a smaller version of the Micro coaxial connector (MCX) that are radio frequency connectors first designed in the 1980s. Besides GPS applications, they are used in broadband frequency bands from DC to 6GHz. Both have an impedance of 50 Ohms.
- Both connectors are designed with a lock-snap mechanism that makes it possible to rotate the antennas 360 degrees.
- Both are frequently used with GPS devices.
MCX Connector Characteristics
MCX (micro coaxial) connectors are coaxial RF connectors that have a snap-on interface and a 50 Ohm impedance. They offer broadband capability from DC to 6 GHz. The contact surfaces are gold-plated. They have the same inner contact and insulator dimensions as the SMB connector but are 30% smaller.
- MCX and the smaller MMCX version are frequently used to connect external antennas to GPS receivers. They are also common on USB DVB-T tuners for computers and laptops, to connect an external antenna to the tuner. MCX is the external antenna port for Apple Airport Extreme Base Station.
- The outer diameter of the MCX male is approximately 3.6 mm or 0.140 inch. MCX male is also called MCX plug.
- Our MCX connectors are precision machined and gold-plated for low loss.
- MCX connectors are much smaller than SMA connectors: Smaller by 30% in diameter compared to SMA coaxial RF connectors.
MMCX Connector CharacteristicsThe small diameter of MMCX makes miniaturization of the hardware of the wireless networks even more efficient. They will easily snap on to the jack of a router board or mini PCI card and will also easily snap off when you need them to. The connectors are smaller than the original MCX and can be crimped onto RG 178, RG 316, or RG 174 coaxial cables.
The cables are flexible thin and comfortable yet they can stand up to high vibration conditions without getting damaged or disconnecting. You can also quickly and easily swap them out without damaging them. MMCX connectors are typically made of stainless steel or brass with nickel plating for the solder and gold plating for the contacts.
Antennas with MMCX connector
MMCX antenna is very flexible and convenient as you can get them as right angle or straight through connectors. Given that they are lightweight, small and flexible, they are great for portable, small or handheld devices such as:
- Computer peripheral devices
- Wireless internet TV
- External GPS antennas
- Wireless audio
- In ear monitors
- GPS and PDA receivers
- Wi-Fi mini PCI cards and
- Video transmitters for First Person View